Monday 2 September 2013

Six years in the making and the cards are finally on their way out to the world!

It was a stop-start process, with battles fought with my 'inner demons', challenging my self-belief.  Truth be told, I was hoping that a commercial publisher would sweep in on his white horse so that I didn't have to lead and project-manage at every step.  Although I aroused the interest of some larger publishers, the project fell a little too outside of the box to sit comfortably on their 'lists'.

Yet, now that I can see the integrity with which the cards, guidebook, packaging and website has come together (thanks to the all people who have poured love and remarkable skill into Tabella), I am glad that I didn't hand my baby over.  It is true that no-one would love and nurture her the same way that I could.

For anyone who is standing on a similar ledge, I would encourage you to hold on to your dreams because your persistence and patience will pay off.  My drawn out time-frames served to enhance the cards.  It allowed the right people to emerge at the right time and for me to come back and review work at intervals, gaining greater perspective during my 'pregnant pauses'.

Back to the work-bench for me but I will drop in again soon! xo

P.S.  Here's a photo of my brother and nephews playing Tabella for the first time.  They choose to play the game 'Play It Forward' a few times over.  I jumped in and I have to say that it was tricky keeping up with their fast-paced, action-packed adventures.  Characters were slaughtered by the likes of showers of 'diamond-axes' falling from the sky, then brought back to life in various incarnations.  The boys soon found favourite cards in the deck that they conspired to retrieve in each game or trade for.



No comments:

Post a Comment